Saturday 9 July 2016

Fogo Island Inn

I love those experiences that thrill you by complete surprise.  Such was our visit to Fogo Island. We treated ourselves to two nights at the Fogo Island Inn on recommendation of our friends Fran and Chuck.  I don't even know how to explain what kind of special experience we had. 
wasn't sure how I would feel about it because I couldn't get my head around the unique/cosmic/modern/weird architecture. I like a salt box, Cape Cod-style building, especially in eastern Canada and the States. Those are everywhere, and they fit, and I like their symmetry. So when I saw this in real life, my senses were twitching, and not in a good way. 
It's huge, and it's out on fairly barren rock. When you think fishing village, this is not necessarily what comes to mind. But man oh man, there's something about how it all comes together inside and out that works in the funkiest and best way. 
Zita Cobb, the courageous (to bring this to a small, conservative island) and innovative mastermind behind the Inn, put so much thought into every detail, as did architect Todd Saunders. I'm just going to let the pictures do the talking. Know while you're looking at them that we were all completely overcome by the Inn's splendour and simplicity, not to mention the lovely kindnesses and gestures of the staff. 


All furniture and textiles thought through and planned and executed exquisitely; much was produced on Fogo. 

Tea and baking on arrival. 



Up in the loft. 




Yes, that is the heated toilet with remote control. Lid up, lid down, change seat temperature, etc. You name it, it does it. 

This was just our space!  Wait till you see our other pics of the Inn. 

1 comment:

  1. thank you so much for the "toilet" shots
    it was grandson Kairo's most memorable moment
    when they visited us....
    we'll see if he remembers when they are here for dinner tomorrow

    ReplyDelete