Friday 31 July 2015

Homage to Sister Wendy

I bought this at the NV City library for $3. It is my new favourite book. If you aren't familiar with Sister Wendy, PLEASE google her and, better yet, watch her on YouTube. She hosted a number of PBS specials about art and makes it very accessible for everyone, especially philistines like me (special reference to Adrian Mole there).

I was very eager to see two of Sister Wendy's favourite things that are in Edinburgh: the Lewis chessmen, and the Raeburn painting of The Skating Minister. 
The Lewis chessmen are in the National Museum, and they are extraordinary. 

They are carved of walrus ivory and whales' teeth, and they were carved IN THE 12TH CENTURY. Holy cow. They're called the Lewis chessmen because they were found on the Isle of Lewis in 1831. They're believed to have been made in Norway.  Isn't that incredible?!

Now, as you may know, the skating minister holds a special place in my dad's house as well as ours (if you can't remember where he is at our place, you'd better familiarize yourself and revere him on your next visit).  Sister Wendy writes about him on pp 106-107. 

Well, dammit all, he's in Texas or somewhere like that, not in the National Gallery as we'd hoped. 
Maybe he can hook up with a bagpipe-playing rooster like the one Lance and Alison got me at the Dallas airport a few years ago.  (It broke, like my heart when I learned The Reverend wasn't in town.)

No comments:

Post a Comment