Monday 17 August 2015

Virtual Venn Diagram

Two days into our reluctant return, and I can't stop thinking about the wonderful UK.  I love the energy and history in Scotland and England; Vancouver seems so dull. Some similarities and differences between there and here stand out:
- way more smokers in the UK, and worse, they aren't required to steer clear of doorways, so you're liable to walk through several nasty wafts wherever you go --I don't miss that
- WAY fewer gyms/fitness establishments
- thus WAY fewer people in yoga wear (I found that oddly refreshing)
- fewer people carrying coffee cups and/or travel mugs, despite a surge in number of coffee establishments since we were there in 1997 (but > # of coffee places does not = better coffee)
- same number of folks carrying cell phones
- more awareness and emphasis on nutrition here (though Scotland is doing better than England in this regard); "local" is celebrated, but fruit and veg are not as available and popular as they are here

If I could fly back right now, I would, but in the meantime, it was really great to have a home cooked meal courtesy of my personal chef tonight. Here's the riffraff on the deck for dinner (heavy on the veg). 

No comments:

Post a Comment