Saturday 8 August 2015

Sweet Fifteen

Nancy quietly organized that this afternoon I should attend the gin masterclass at Jamie Oliver's Fifteen restaurant (that's the one w the apprenticeships for wayward youth) and that we'd sup there afterward. I am touched that she does this as she knows how Chuck and Andrew and I had been turned on to The Botanist distlled at Bruichladdich in Islay. I greedily look forward to my afternoon of gin education. This gives us the better part of the day for a London staple, Portobello Road Market and Saturday is the main market day. Sweet holy yeezus I've never seen anything quite like it. It's a mile or more long, the street's closed to cars and it is a sea of humans of every stripe. A murder of sounds and smells and sights. Produce, street food (paella from huge woks being our choice, but exotic sausages, olives, donuts, bakery items, pies, crepes, fish and chips), antiques, clothes (new and vintage), art, music, and the ubiquitous plastic iPhone cases. A grand spectacle. Ducking into a laneway mews we lunch on the cobbles. 2 hours in the crush (it's getting even busier now) and the heat prove enough. We've seen what we have come to see. I have a handful of antique cabinet handles for the Scotty Potty, Nancy has an excellent reversible skirt, and Frances the Banksy t-shirts she had hoped to find. Caroline is incongruously skunked in the search for the right iPod cover. Home for a rest and to confirm my gin-gig, but, to our chagrin, no class will be held today. Too busy at the bar. A little disappointed but thankful to rest muscles weary from yesterday's monkey business. An Uber car takes us to our early reso where the bar manager's understudy, Portuguese-American-Brit Fernando, sets things right by giving me my own personalized (though abbreviated) version of the gin class while the restaurant is still setting up. The ladies observe while sipping homemade cream sodas and apple-mint-ginger coolers. 4 gins including a very interesting one distilled from green apples. We're off to a great start - at least I am. A bright table. West Coast/Gastown/olde England mashup for decor. Oysters to begin; then crispy pig cheek with kale, kimchi, and a perfectly cooked soft egg (my fave dish of the meal); and lamb sous vide w malted spelt. Crab bisque and hake w spinach broth for Na. Homemade sourdough and short rib w cheddar mash for girlies. Happy times proving once again, "Life's a pretty sweet fruit."




3 comments:

  1. I just get more jealous every day! Sounds absolutely fabulous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it that almost every time I tune into The Blog I get hungry?!! What a day! Anticipating detailed notes upon your return.

    Cheers and Bon Appetit....DnA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Specialty of our house. Soft boiled eggs & pig cheeks! Sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete